Walking on the icy pavements in shopping malls and other public places could cause slip and fall injury during winter. Though you are aware of such probable accidents you may not be able to avoid such instances due to unavoidable reasons. In such instances you can file a lawsuit against the property owner on the basis of negligence to clean up the snow. You have to follow certain simple procedures to get the right compensation within specific time frame from the property owner.
If you are not sure of the legal procedures you can visit http://www.yourlawyer.com/new-york-personal-injury and get more details. The layers here have the experience and expertise in handling such cases and get you the justice and compensation through trusted legal methods of personal injury law.
Procedure after Slip and Fall Incident
- You have to call the police immediately and file a complaint against the property owner. This will help getting the first incident report from them. Your next step is to call the slip and injury lawyer and start the legal proceedings.
- Your lawyer starts the investigation into the incident by collecting evidences from the fallen spot. Photographs of the landscape, forensic analysis, and enquiry of possible witnesses can help in gathering vital information. He prepares a detailed report based on the evidences and statements. This acts as the primary document for the lawsuit.
- The next immediate step after contacting your lawyer is to get medical help. You have to take the medication and go through the treatments as prescribed by the doctor. In case you need hospitalization you need to follow the procedures without hesitation. Make sure you collect all the reports and bills. Your lawyer will need them for calculating the amount of compensation money to be claimed. For this he considers the expenses for medication, treatment, hospitalization, post-treatment recovery, loss of income and other related financial factors.
- Your lawyer may try and settle the case through negotiations with the property owner. You have to follow the guidelines from your lawyer without any deviation. Avoid speaking to the defendant or his lawyer directly. All your communications will be directed through your lawyer alone.
- If your lawyer is able to succeed in negotiations he will settle the compensation value after consultations with the defendant and his lawyer. You can save the time and money spent on legal proceedings. If he is unable to negotiate, he will file the lawsuit in the court of law. You have to attend the trials as decided by the jury.
Trials and Verdict
Your personal injury lawyer submits all the required evidences during the trials and calls the witnesses for examination. The defendant lawyer will also follow the same procedure for protecting his client. After series of testimonials, cross examinations and evidence probing, the jury will pass the verdict. If you have a genuine case in hand your lawyer will be able to win the verdict in your favor and get you the compensation you deserve from the property owner.